Address: Penn State New Kensington, 3550 Seventh Street Road, New Kensington, PA 15068-1798
Phone: 724-334-LION, or 1-888-968-PAWS
Chancellor: Dr. Kevin Snider
Enrollment: 800--includes both traditional (18-24 years old) and non-traditional (24 years or older) students.
Commuters: 90 percent
Off-campus housing residents: 10 percent
Graduates attending Penn State New Kensington (since 1960): 11,000
Campus Service Area: Allegheny and Kiski valley regions of the Greater Pittsburgh area and the five-counties in southwestern Pennsylvania--Allegheny, Armstrong, Butler, Indiana, and Westmoreland.
Tuition and Fees (per year, approximate): $13,412 (in-state); $20,018 (out-of-state)
Annual Budget: $6.6 million
Colors: Blue and White
Faculty: 38 full-time
Average Class Size: 25
Financial Aid and Scholarships: 70 percent of students receive aid (loans, scholarships, grants, work-study);
Campus scholarships are awarded to eligible students on the basis of academic promise, leadership qualities, community service and financial need. This year, new and returning students at the New Kensington campus earned a total of $539,000 in scholarship money, $304,000 from private donors and $234,000 from the University. The campus has 54 scholarship endowments, annual gifts and program awards that funded 225 students this year with an average award of $2,400 per student.
Campus Life: More than 25 clubs and social organizations; On-campus cultural and entertainment events
Athletics: Seven varsity sports: men's soccer, wrestling, men’s basketball, women’s volleyball, softball, men's and women's golf; coed cheerleading. Four club sports, Nine intramural sports
Brief History of the Campus
Penn State New Kensington was founded as a result of a study of the local need for higher education in the Alle-Kiski Valley. The New Kensington Center opened in 1958 in the First Ward School Building in the heart of the city of New Kensington. In 1963, the campus moved to the former Parnassus Junior High School and began offering the first two years of Penn State’s baccalaureate programs in education, liberal arts, business administration, and human development. In the same year, Alcoa gave the University a thirty-five-acre tract of land on Route 780, four miles east of the city. In 1966, classes convened in the Engineering building on the Upper Burrell campus. Today, there are 10 buildings on 72 wooded acres that include a multi-purpose Conference Center, 350-seat Forum Theatre, 600-seat Athletics Center, and Art Gallery. Penn State New Kensington offers eight baccalaureate and six associate degree programs.
The first two years of more than 160 Penn State baccalaureate majors can be obtained at the campus.
• Biomedical Engineering Technology
• Business Administration
• Information Sciences and Technology
• Letters, Arts, and Sciences
• Radiological Sciences
• Bachelor of Science in Administration of Justice
• Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
• Bachelor of Science in Psychology
• Bachelor of Science in Business
• Bachelor of Arts in Communications
• Bachelor of Science in Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology
• Bachelor of Science in Information Sciences and Technology
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing
• Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership
Ten buildings on seventy-two wooded acres that includes a multi-purpose Conference Center, 350-seat Forum Theatre, 600-seat Athletics Center, and Art Gallery
Blissell Library: Books: 31,000; Movies on DVD: 2600; Music on CD: 1500; 15 PC workstations; 1 iMac for media editing; 1 Collaborative workstation for group projects; 6 laptops for checkout; Access to over 500 online databases
Information Technology Center: Dedicated in June 2000, the $3 million IT Center is equipped with state-of-the-art software and computer technology. The Center contains the 35-seat Allegheny Ludlum Technology Classroom; two additional multi-media classrooms, a video conferencing room, a laboratory for network simulation and pc troubleshooting, and a smaller learning studio. The IT Center contains high-end Pentium 4 workstations and it is located in the Theatre and IST Building.
Eleven Specialized Laboratories. Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology Measurement & Instrumentation Laboratory; Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology Control Systems Laboratory; Mechanical Engineering Laboratory; Robotics Laboratory which includes separate stations and milling stations; Electrical Engineering Technology Lab; Power Laboratory; Computer Aided Drafting and Design Laboratory; Drafting Classroom; Biomedical Engineering Technology Laboratory (one of only three in the country); Biomedical Engineering Technology Operating Laboratory; Information Sciences and Technology Networking Laboratory
Computer Center: Large student laboratory, two teaching laboratories and a faculty laboratory; five-to-one student to computer ratio is one of the lowest ratios in the University; students receive e-mail and Internet accounts.
Chancellor, Dr. Kevin Snider, 724-334-6050
Academic Affairs, Dr. Andrea Adolph, 724-334-6032
Continuing Education, Nancy Miller and Pat Hollinger, 724-334-6010
Student Affairs, Theresa Bonk, 724-334-6062
Development, Donna Speer 724-334-6057
Business and Finance, Jason Bush, 724-334-6022
Admissions, Patty Brady, 724-334-6058
Registrar, Mary Dubbink, 724-334-6041
Financial Aid, Jennifer Marino, 724-334-6047
Veterans Services, Diana Hill, 724-334-6047
Athletics, Dave Murray, 724-334-6750
Alumni Relations, Bill Woodard, 724-334-6049
Public Relations, Bill Woodard, 724-334-6049
Career Services, Jim Shields, 724-334-6065
Campus Building Timeline
1958 - First classes held at New Kensington Center on Fourth Avenue
1963 - Moved to old Parnassus Junior High School
1966 - Engineering building opens in Upper Burrell on 35 acres donated by Alcoa
1968 - Science, Activities (Theatre and IST), and Administration buildings open and Library (Blissell Library and Computer Center) is completed. Additional 37 acres purchased from neighboring farmer
1969 - Health and Physical Education Complex (Athletics Center), which includes basketball and volleyball courts, wresting arena, soccer field
1971 - Forum Theatre opens
1975 - Student Learning Center (Academic and Career Success Center) dedicated
1990 - Science and Technology Center opens
2000 - Information and Technology Center opens
2001 - Conference Center dedicated by Penn State President Graham Spanier
2009 - Cafe 780 remodeled
2010 - Soccer field expanded; Wrestling Roon added; multi-purpose field constructed behind Athletics Center
2011 - Athletics Center refurbished: Fitness Center, locker rooms, cardiovascular room, Pilates/Yoga Studio
2012 - Robert D. Arbuckle Technology Building dedicated (formerly Science and Technology Center)Maps and Directions
FROM THE NORTH
Butler/ Kittanning area (30 to 45 minutes)
Take Route 28 south to exit 14, turn left at the end of the ramp and follow the signs for New Kensington (Route 366 east). At the intersection of Route 366 and Route 780, turn left and follow Route 780 east approximately 4 miles. The campus is located on the right side of the road.
FROM THE SOUTH
Monroeville area (15 to 20 minutes)
Take Route 22 east to Route 286 east. Follow Route 286 to Route 380 east. Follow Route 380 to Route 780. Follow Route 780 west past the Alcoa Technical Center for approximately 5 miles. The campus is located on the left side of the road.
FROM THE EAST
Indiana area (45 minutes)
Take Route 422 west to Route 286 west. Follow Route 286 to Route 380 west. Follow Route 380 to Route 780. Follow Route 780 west past Alcoa Technical Center for approximately 5 miles. The campus is located on the left side of the road.
FROM THE WEST
North Hills area (20 to 30 minutes)
Take Route 279 South or Route 8 south directly to Route 28 north. Take Route 28 north to exit 14, bear right, and follow the signs for New Kensington (Route 366 east). At the intersection of Route 366 and Route 780, turn left and follow Route 780 east approximately 4 miles. The campus is located on the right side of the road.
FROM PITTSBURGH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Follow the directional signs toward Pittsburgh. Follow Route 279 north to Route 376 east. Follow Route 376 east to the Murrysville exit. Take Route 22 east to Route 286 east. Follow Route 286 to Route 380 east. Follow Route 380 to Route 780. Follow Route 780 west past the Alcoa Technical Center for approximately 5 miles. The campus is located on the left side of the road.
FROM THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE (I-76)
Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) to exit 48 (Allegheny Valley Interchange ). Take Route 28 north to exit 14, bear right, and follow the signs for New Kensington (Route 366 east). At the intersection of Route 366 and Route 780, turn left and follow Route 780 east approximately 4 miles. The campus is located on the right side of the road.
- About Us