Penn State New Kensington is dedicated to providing the University community the opportunity to participate in recreation, sports, and fitness activities with the emphasis on fair play, healthy living, and development of proper social skills. The goal of the program is to provide students with an all-encompassing campus recreation program in a modern recreation facility.
Our fitness programs are conducted as an integral part of the total educational experience by promoting healthy lifestyles, leadership, and individual discipline associated with a positive competitive endeavor.
Students are invited to take advantage of the myriad of fitness options available at our 2,000 square foot weight and fitness center, such as open gym activities, racquetball courts, varsity sports, club sports, intramurals and health-related programs.
• Spring 5
Fall and Spring Hours
Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m.-9:00 pm
Friday 8:00a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
NOTE: Schedule Adjusted During Breaks and Holidays. During times of inclement weather the fitness center will be closed.
Penn State University State students, faculty, and staff have memberships to the Fitness Center. A Penn State ID must be presented to gain access to Athletic Center. Without ID, admittance will not be granted.
Alumni of Penn State University also have membership to the Athletic Center for no fee. Alumni must present current photo identification and complete a liability waiver.
Community Members are not permitted use of Fitness Center.
Students, faculty, staff, and alumni can sponsor one related guest who must provide photo identification. The guest must remain with their sponsor at all times.
- All patrons must wipe down the equipment with a towel after use.
- No one under 16 years of age may enter the fitness room at any time.
- Athletic shoes must be worn at all times. Sandals, flip flops and boots are not permitted.
- Please adhere to the 30 minute rule when other patrons are waiting to use equipment.
- Do not drop weights to the floor from any height.
- Keep hands and feet clear of moving parts while using machines.
- Free weights must be returned to their proper place after use.
- Do not operate or attempt to repair machines with loose or damaged parts. Notify staff.
- All Personal Trainers must be hired through Recreation Services.
- Appropriate athletic attire must be worn at all times. Generally, this consists of closed-toe athletic shoes, athletic pants or shorts and a t-shirt, sweatshirt or tank top. Patrons are not allowed to exercise in jeans, dress pants, button-down shirts, or skirts.
- Use of weight collars is required at all times.
- Hand chalk is prohibited.
- Water in a closed plastic container is the only drink permitted. No food or supplements are permitted.
- All equipment must be used in the manner for which it is designed. Do not attempt to modify equipment.
- Standing on benches or equipment frames is prohibited.
- Personal belongings must be kept in a locker. The staff is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Spotters are recommended on all lifts.
- Dropping weights is prohibited, as it damages the equipment. Also, please refrain from propping the weights up against the walls, mirrors or pillars.
- Top loading additional weight onto the weight stack machines is prohibited.
- All equipment must remain in the area it was placed. Do not move equipment from one location to another.
- Tobacco Products are prohibited.
- Due to facility space limitations and safety concerns, the following free weight lifts are not permitted: snatch, jerk and power clean lifts.
Instructor of Kinesiology and Intramurals Coordinator
- Student Life